Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Animals and Humans

I just finished reading an article for our final essay, and the different theories regarding the moral treatment of animals are really interesting. I think one of the things that is frustrating me about my topic is that the theories used for the discourse about whether vegetarianism as morally correct treatment of animals all kind of contradict themselves. For example, from a utilitarian perspective the article talks about how not killing animals, if the purpose would simply be for taste, is moral because it would allow for more utility than killing them. However, it also argues, that between a dog dying and a human dying, a human should be the one who lives because of the greater amount of utility. However, this is all reasoning from the perspective of humans because I am sure dogs would consider a living dog and a dead human to be of greater utility.

I don't know. I am of the opinion that humans are exceptional beings. And furthermore, that humans are meant to eat meat (just like other animals are meant to eat meat). I guess if people are going argue on behalf of the animals, I would like an example of a theory the consideration of animals equal to humans, but I still haven't seen one that doesn't demonstrate within itself that humans have greater entitlement.

I'm not anti-vegetarian, I'm just not vegetarian. If you have thoughts on this please comment. I like know other opinions.

No comments: