Wednesday, November 19, 2008

That's interesting about the the vicious business cycle. It's kind of like you're saying it's all about perspective. I was just talking to someone about how the main things I complain about these days are schoolwork and missing my boyfriend who lives 2 1/2 hours away. So really, I only complain about struggles that result from being privileged. A statistic I've heard is that if you attain a university degree you are part of the "top 1%" of the world. On top of that, we go to the best university in Canada according to Maclean's. Having a boyfriend isn't that bad either - I would rather have him in my life than not. So really, who am I to complain, that the things that make my life better don't make my life perfect? I am not in the sex trade or starving, etc.

I think the vicious cycle actually has a lot to do with humans believing they are entitled to the things they want! If we don't get what we want we complain and work to get that, and when what we wanted isn't perfect we complain even more. Humans need to find satisfaction in things other than wants, and think less of their desires for more.

Also, in regards to your blurb about exploitation, I just wanted to make a comment about slaves and masters. I agree that the slave trade (the British or American one) was awful. Clear examples of disregarding the value of a human. But even within slave-master relationships there this does not have to be the case. Although understanding the value of a human will probably lead people to release slaves. When a slave is bound to a master, perhaps because the slave owes a debt he/she cannot pay, a master can treat a slave respectfully while he/she fulfills the duties of a slave. And a slave can respect a master as a caring employer. This is actually discussed in the Bible (Ephesians 5). My point in saying this is that it is not the nature of a relationship that dictates how we treat people. Individuals decide whether they want to take advantage of other people. In my opinion, the only way to correct individuals is to correct their individual attitudes, not change societal structure. I think one problem that people run into when they try to change the world is they underestimate how much change needs to start internally.

No comments: